Friday, October 14, 2016
It’s been a while since my last Nail of the Day (NOTD) post. Due to a busy schedule and some special events, I have been getting gel manicures at a local salon for the past few months. They use OPI Gel polishes, which I am really enjoying. I have tried Shellac in the past and the gel is very similar in that it is long lasting, resistant to wear and tear, and is completely dry within a minute or so under a curing lamp. However, I prefer the gel over Shellac since it doesn’t make my nails feel as thick, and the gel is cured with an LED light rather than a UV light. I also like that I can remove the gel at home without any acetone or chemicals even though it is not recommended. I must confess that I have discovered that after a few weeks of wear, I can peel the gel off in one piece without any issues while in a hot shower. I have not been able to do this with Shellac.
Of all the OPI Gel colours that I have tried, my favourites include Let’s Be Friends! from the Hello Kitty line (a perfect pastel pink for brides) and the one that I’m wearing in the photo above which is called I Cannoli Wear OPI from the fall 2015 Venice line.
Since grey is my favourite colour, I couldn’t wait to try this shade. I have to be very careful with greys since the ones with green undertones do not complement my skin tone. This shade works well for me since it’s a pastel grey creme with neutral undertones and a slight hint of blue. The colour is very light and works as a chic alternative to a stark white polish. It’s also a nice everyday colour that’s a bit different than the pastel pinks and nudes that are always popular.
Once I take a break from the gel, I will be purchasing this shade from OPI’s regular polish line. I highly recommend this colour for grey polish lovers and those who like light shades with a little twist.
What’s your favourite grey polish?
Wednesday, October 12, 2016
I’m giving away these bronze, peach, and plum toned beauty products in honour of fall (my favourite season)!
Products include Teeez Tend Cosmetics Head Over Heels Nail Lacquer in Cadmium Rush, Chella Passionate Pink Moisturizing Lip Pencil, Epic Blend Premium Lip Balm in Hemp Blueberry, Hikari Cosmetics Eye Shadow in Haze, So Susan Cosmetics Concealer Quad, Manna Kadar Radiance Bronzer & Highlighter, Cargo Cosmetics Water Resistant Blush in Coronado, Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara, and Starlooks Luxe Longwear Eyeliner Pen in Plum.
You can enter to win by filling out the Rafflecopter form below.
****This giveaway is open internationally and will close on Friday, November 4, 2016 at 11:59PM****
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Sunday, September 18, 2016
The August 2016 Beauty Box Five* features products for an at home spa experience with its Pampering in Progress / Spa Day theme.
If you are unfamiliar with Beauty Box Five, it is a subscription that sends its members five cosmetic samples each month. Subscriptions start at $12 per month and shipping is free!
Now let’s talk about the August items.
1. Nika Facial Exfoliating Brush | Retail: $17 (full size) - This is my first time seeing a product like this. It’s a cleansing brush that gently exfoliates with its densely-packed bristles. I’m amazed by how incredibly soft the brush is and can’t wait to try it.
2. Global Beauty Care Retinol Spa Treatment Mask | Retail: $7.50 (full size) - This mask features retinol to reduce expression lines and wrinkles while boosting cell renewal. This product sounds amazing, but I’m hoping it won’t be too harsh for my sensitive skin.
3. Olive Natural Beauty Elixir | Retail: $36 - This all-natural essential oil blend is like a daily vitamin for your skin. I’m looking forward to using this on my face and cuticles.
4. VO5 Hot Oil Therapy Treatment | Retail: $2.59 (full size) - Oil treatments are amazing for the hair as they restore shine and smoothness depleted by over-processing and heat styling. I have found that they are too heavy for my fine hair though, so I will save this for a friend.
5. Did. Hair Spa Day Hair Ties | Retail : $6.50 (full size) - I’ve received similar products from this brand in past beauty boxes and I really enjoy them. They are cute and prevent the hair from creasing or denting even after eight hours in a ponytail.
As an added bonus for the hair, Beauty Box Five included a hair spray from Rave in this month’s box. It’s unscented and meant to stand up to humidity—just what I need this summer!
Overall, I really enjoyed the August 2016 Beauty Box Five. It contains a nice assortment of innovative and practical items and is a good value with its four full-size items.
I’ve noticed that over the past few months, there have been fewer makeup products in the boxes. I’ve enjoyed this as it has given me a chance to focus on skin and hair. Plus, this summer has been so hot that it hasn’t been worth it to go through the trouble of applying makeup only for it to melt away. I think that come fall I will be ready to try some new makeup, so I can’t wait to see what Beauty Box Five has in store for September.