Saturday, August 16, 2014
Zesty Quinoa Patties with Pineapple and Avocado
As someone who rarely eats meat, I’m always looking for meatless alternatives that aren’t carb filled or bland. These zesty quinoa patties are a perfect option for a vegetarian meal and they are great for summer with fruity toppings like pineapple and avocado.
I found the recipe on Portuguese Girl Cooks and modified it to suit my family’s tastes. Here is my version.
2 ½ cups cooked and cooled quinoa (about 1 cup uncooked)
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Zest of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil for frying
1 sliced avocado for serving
1/2 fresh pineapple for serving, cut into chunks (canned pineapple will also work)
1. In a medium bowl, combine cooled quinoa and bread crumbs. Mix until the quinoa is evenly coated.
2. Add the next 7 ingredients and mix to combine.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and Dijon mustard. Add the egg mixture to the quinoa mixture and mix to combine.
4. Using your hands, form the quinoa mixture into patties. Use about 1/2 cup of the mixture for each.
5. Heat the grapeseed oil in a frying pan over medium heat and add the patties a few at a time. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side until golden brown.
6. To serve, add a few quinoa patties to a plate and top with sliced avocado and pineapple. Add a bit of lettuce on the plate for garnish (optional).
Labels: avocado, best burger, best quinoa patties, best summer recipe, brunch, clean eating, healthy burger, lunch, lunch dinner, meatless burger, pineapple, quinoa patties, recipe, recipes, vegetarian, veggie burgers, zesty